Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hungry for cake in Charlotte?

When I lived in Charlotte, NC a few years back, I became friends with one of the most amazing women in town – and she happens to be an incredibly talented cake decorator. Peg introduced me to cake decorating without me even realizing what she was doing! I saw pictures (and was sometimes lucky enough to be at functions with the real thing) of cakes she decorated for Edible Art, an adorable shop in the middle of Myers Park.

Peg taught me some of the most helpful tips ever:

  • Icing can fix anything!
  • If you think about it long enough, you can figure out how to make any cake you want to. It’s just a matter of looking at the parts and how they fit together.
  • Don’t get black icing on your hands – it doesn’t come off!
  • You don’t have to use fondant to make a smooth-looking cake. You can do it by dipping your spatula in hot water before each stroke.

Edible Art’s secret recipes for cake and icing should be patented. They are delicious beyond words, and so good that even with their eyes shut, lucky Charlotte residents can identify one of their cakes out of a line-up, just by tasting.


No comments: